11 July 2013

Letting Go

Here is a bit more personal post, I like to do these once in awhile, and I would love your feedback!

There are a million and one lessons that you learn while growing up, and there is one that I have had a really hard time learning. That lesson is letting go of people who no longer are meant to be in your life. Whether its a friend who you no longer have much in common with, or a past partner whom you were close with but realized that the relationship was no longer serving either of your best interests. 

At the end of high school I had to let go of a relationship where we had both grown, but in different directions. We were close, and had gotten each other through a lot in high school. I realized though that I especially wasn't the same person that I was sophomore year. I had grown up, but differently than my partner.

I moved on in October, fell for my best friend who is now my wonderful boyfriend MB. I however was not over the friendship from high school, and it took me six months and multiple attempts at reconnecting to realize that we weren't meant to be friends right now. We both had to figure out things on our own. 

Now while we aren't meant to be friends now, there is always later in life. Also the fact that we can't be friends now doesn't mean that our relationship wasn't important, or wasn't true. Every person you have any sort of relationship I fully believe serves a purpose. Whether it was to make you smile, or help you through a tough time people are there for a reason.

I have a hard time letting go because I want to keep that person in my life, and continue to care for them and help them. Sometimes I need to realize that it wasn't meant for me to help them or care for them still,and that other people have to do that.

I have finally let go, not of our friendship throughout high school, but the idea that we were the same people. I am sure that he is a great person and will go far.

Being positive about situations in which you need to let go of a person is easier than being bitter. Being bitter may be easier, but it could destroy your relationships with other people. Here are some tips on how to let go. 
...

1. Don't talk to mutual friends: One of my problems was talking with our mutual friends too much about it. In order to get over someone, you need to stop thinking about it!
2. Unfriend, Unfollow and don't search!: Get them off your Facebook, off your Twitter and DON'T SEARCH. Out of sight out of mind. 
3. Have Fun, Reminisce, Move On: Don't dwell on it. Let go a little. 

Now this may not be a person for you, it may be a dream job, or an opportunity. While that maybe gone, try looking for a similar opportunity, or use it to motivate you. 

Disclaimer: This is what worked for me, it may not always work for you!

What do you think? What do you do in this situation?

xoxo
AV

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for blogging about something so personal- I did that recently too and I felt so much better after! Sounds like you moved on from this very well, and that's wonderful that you have a new BF who is a better fit. :-)

    xoxo Miss ALK
    http://missalk1994.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete