12 February 2014

Long Distance Relationships

Yep. I've decided it's about time to breach this topic. I've been in a long distance relationship for over a year, and readers/fellow bloggers have asked me about how MB and I manage. I'm going to tell you it's not easy. 300+ miles is kind of a lot, and our schedules rarely seem to match up. 
Disclaimer: This is what works for MB and I, not necessarily any other couple.


{one} Trust the  person you're with: Relationships should be based on trust, but a long distance one is based completely on trust. Don't assume the worst in your partner. Trust that they want to be in this relationship with you. 

{two} Establish a routine: Every morning MB and I text each other good morning, and every night we try to talk on the phone or text each other. It's just like a routine that you would have if you weren't long-distance, and this way you feel connected. 
Don't be afraid to break that routine though, if you have exciting news or having a really hard day call your significant other. 

{three} Make an effort: Make an effort to be there for your partner. Schedule Skype dates, send a sweet note or care package. Remind them that you want to be in this relationship too. Little things make a relationship. 

{four} Stay Busy: Just because you're in a long distance relationship doesn't mean that you can't be busy or have your own life! Don't wait around the phone for your significant other. That creates this longing feeling that will end up in really bad compromises or the end of the relationship. 
MB and I always joke that we couldn't date each other on the same campus because we're so busy!

{five} Surround yourself with supportive people: I have the best friendships in the entire world.All of my sisters, friends, and family are really supportive of MB and I. It makes this so much easier when I make snide comments about kind of being half single. Appreciate the people in your life. 

{six} Fight Fair, and over the phone or Skype:  Fight fair is always the best advice for a relationship, but do it with your actual voice. If you're long distance you don't have the luxury of fighting in person. But texting makes it even worse. You can't tell a person's tone, or what they really want to say over text. Do yourselves a favor and wait to talk or Skype to fight. MB and I have had to figure that out the hard way. 

Like I've said before, this isn't the best advice for anyone. I'm also not telling everyone to be in a long distance relationship either. It's not easy, but if you're with the right person it's worth it. Some people can't handle it, and before MB I didn't think I could handle it either. Just stay positive, and get a countdown app! 

Are you in a long distance relationship? What do you do? How sappy was I actually? 

xoxo




this post has been MB approved 

2 comments:

  1. GREAT tips! I've been in quite a few long distance relationships, and I know how hard it can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been nervous to do a post about this, so I'm glad that I'm not full of it!

      Delete