I cannot believe I am finally 21. I'm the last out of my regular group of friends to turn 21, so it's kind of a lets all celebrate we can all go out together party. Turning 21 is kind of the last big milestone growing up. I feel like I'm getting closer to becoming an actual, functioning adult, but I've learned some important lessons in the past 21 years.
2. Siblings really can become some of your best friends, it just may take awhile.
3. As you grow up, family becomes a mixture of blood and friends.
4. Some friends you won't need to talk to for weeks, and you'll pick up right where you left off. Keep them and cherish them.
5. Get involved. If you're having a rough time adjusting to a new place, it's the quickest way to make friends and memories.
6. Work hard toward your goals, but remember that your hard work will open the right door, not just the door you want.
7. Cherish your older relatives, they have great stories and invaluable advice.
8. Write cards, thank yous, I miss yous, and congratulations.
9. Remember people's birthdays, and not just on Facebook. Making people's days is easier than you think.
10. Overdressed is always better than underdressed.
11. Dress well for the occasion, and you'll have one less thing to be nervous about.
12. Find someone who is your best friend, not just someone you have chemistry with, lust is overrated. Find someone who is going to be your life partner.
13. It's okay to walk away from relationships where you aren't able to grow anymore.
14. Dreams can't become reality unless they are broken down into attainable goals.
15. When making a to-do list, always put tasks you've done already. It's incredibly satisfying.
16. Your personal style will change, or take awhile to even exist. Don't wear something because it's in style, wear it because it makes you feel beautiful, strong, in charge or even sexy.
17. Don't compare your path to someone else's, everyone's lives happen at different speeds.
18. Read books, watch documentaries, go to museums. Overeducate yourself.
19. Being roommates with someone can either strengthen or destroy your relationship. Be honest.
20. Volunteer, it puts your life in a really great perspective.
21. Take it one step at a time, sleep in a little, stay out late, and count your blessings every day.
Here's to the next year, and the past 21. I'm an incredibly blessed person.