31 July 2013

Why You Should Read Lean In: Powerful Woman Series

I am an avid reader, but I don't post about it because I'm really into historical fiction, and most aren't! However I heard about Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg from Levo League, and I am encouraging all of your to read it, regardless of gender, age and position in life. In order to raise a generation of equals, everyone needs to take part. 
Sheryl Sandberg did this Ted Talk which put her on the stage for feminism. Here are reasons why I am glad I read Lean In, and why you should too. 
1. She encourages the idea that females and males are inherently different, but she explains why females in business is a good thing. Females can have a positive impact. 
2. She gets rid of the stereotype of feminism. It's no longer the bra burning movement it once was. Her definition makes me want to be a feminist. 
3. She wants everyone to work together. Not just woman helping woman. She wants men to realize the double standards, and she points out men who realize that and who have helped. 
4. She encourages women to support men in a new role, and to find men who are going to be equal partners. When you have an equal partner, both of you can have successful careers and personal lives. 
5. Women need to take more risks. In the book, Sandberg conveys a statistic that is a little sad. Men will apply for a promotion when they meet 60% of the criteria, while women will when they think they meek 100%. "Owning one's success is key to achieving more success" 
6. She redefines leadership for everybody. "Leadership is about making other better as a result of your presence and making sure that impact lasts in your absence".  Honestly, this will be my new mantra this year as I step into new leadership roles. 
7. "I want to do that -- and I'll learn by doing it" She encourages everyone to embrace the ever-changing business culture and learn along the way. 
8. She gives real world business advice to everyone. "An all-business approach is not always good business". She encourages people to look at people as actual humans when they do business. It's bound to make the world a better place. 
9. She encourages everybody to help women. Their parents, grandparents, partners, girlfriends, guy friends, basically everyone needs to pitch in. Her dream, and my goal is that my daughter will have equal opportunities without workplace bias. 

Go get this book on Amazon. Read it. Loan it to your friends. Have them loan it to their friends. Spread the word about this new revolution in the workplace. 

Have you read Lean In? What do you think of it? After reading this will you read Lean In? 

xoxo
aEv

ps. I will be posting about other books I read, either by women or men to make us more powerful women!

No comments:

Post a Comment